Posted By 0 Comment(s) 3905 View(s)
How to Authenticate a Native American Baskets
Native basketry is beautiful in its simplicity.
- All native baskets that are made with natural materials are finished on both the inside and the outside.
- There aren’t any broken strands sticking out from the backside of a finished piece.
- A contemporary basket will usually use a steel ring for the diameter of the basket.
- Traditional baskets will use a ring made from Native plants.
- This can easily be checked by moving the strands and looking at the ring itself.
- Baskets come in various shapes and sizes depending on the tribe.
- The design will mirror itself from the right to wrong side.
Author: Rosalie Talahongva
Tribal Affiliation: Hopi
© LomaSiiva™ Compliance Library